I-485 Marriage Green Card: Toughest Question and Best Answer

Have you ever wondered about a crucial question in the I-485 (the 'Adjustment of Status Application') marriage-based green card approval process? The question is this: Have you ever violated the terms of your non-immigrant status by mistake? 

This question is more important than you think. Let's explore it together and clear up any confusion so you can confidently move forward in your US immigration journey.

Play Video

The I-485 Marriage Green Card Tough Question

Question 17 in Form I-485, Section 8, needs to be clarified for applicants. But don't worry. We're here to clear things up!

Form I-485, Part 8, Question 17

Question 17 on the I-485 marriage green card application form for the marriage green card process asks if you've ever violated the rules of your non-immigrant status. This question is important because it gives insight into your immigration history. 

Don't worry if you have made minor mistakes in the past - the key is to answer truthfully. This way, you can move forward with your application confidently and honestly, increasing your chances of success.

Why Non-Immigrant Status Violations Aren't as Critical as You Think

Being mindful of the question about any violations of non-immigrant status is crucial when applying for a green card through marriage to a US citizen. However, such violations do not hold the weight one might assume in this scenario.

It Doesn't Matter: The Reassuring Truth

Don't worry. Previous mistakes won't block the marriage green card process for spouses of US citizens - even if you worked without approval or overstayed your time.

The Pitfall: Providing False Information

The importance and the primary concern lies in providing inaccurate information to USCIS. Josh warns against answering "no" when the truthful response should be "yes," as this could lead to complications in the future.

Embracing the Truth: The Power of "Yes"

Many people have worked without proper approval and faced challenges maintaining non-immigrant status. We encourage applicants to confront this reality. You can proceed confidently with your green card application by answering "yes" to this question.

I-485 Marriage Green Card: Toughest Question and Best Answer

Key Tips: Managing the I-485 Marriage Green Card and I-130 Forms

This section will clarify the differences between these I-485 and I-130 forms. Here, we highlight details that are often overlooked and offer important tips to help you better understand the forms.

1. The Important Role of the I-485 Marriage Green Card Form:

  • Importance: 

When you file form I-485 marriage green card (or Adjustment of Status form), it’s like your ticket to becoming a permanent resident in the United States. It shows you can switch from a temporary non-immigrant visa to a permanent status.

  • What to Know:

This form is a vital part of the process where you say, "Hey, I'm ready to stay here for the long run!”

2. Getting to Know the I-130 Petition

  • First Step: 

This family-based form outlines and introduces your relationship with your US citizen family member or spouse to immigration authorities. This step demonstrates that your relationship is genuine.

  • Why It Matters: 

This petition helps prove that your family ties are strong and valid. This is like saying, "We're family and want to stick together.

3. Doing Both at the Same Time – Simultaneous Submission

  • Shortcut Alert: 

Good news for spouses, parents, and unmarried children of US citizens! You can fill out both the I-130 and I-485 marriage green card forms at the same time. It provides a shortcut to make things faster.

  • Why It Helps: 

Doing both together means immigration officers can review everything at once, making the process smoother and quicker.

4. Exploring Other Green Card Options With the I-485 Form

  • Not Just for Families: 

The I-485 processing isn't exclusive to families. Whether you're already in the US on a visa, have a job offer to aspire to work in the United States, or are driven by humanitarian reasons, this form can still be your golden ticket.

  • Versatility: 

No matter how you're here, the I-485 marriage green card (adjustment of status) is like a magic wand that can help you adjust your status so you can stay for different reasons.

  • How to Explore Other Green Card Options:

Consider your current visa if you want a green card for reasons other than marrying a US citizen. Understand how it relates to your green card application. It’s best to get advice from an immigration attorney to navigate this process confidently. 

They can guide you through the complexities, ensuring your responses meet requirements and increasing the chances of success.

How to navigate the critical question on the I-485 marriage green card form for a successful application and get more key expert tips right here!

5. Answering Questions about Non-Immigrant Status

  • Tricky Questions: 

There are some tricky questions about breaking any rules on your previous visas. Don't worry and think of it as a trap. Just be honest. If you’ve made a little mistake before, it's okay. The key is to tell the truth.

  • Why It Matters: 

Answering truthfully is like being honest with a friend. It builds trust and is the best way to ensure your journey to a green card goes smoothly.

These forms are your tools to make the dream of staying in the US a reality. Think of them like a map – they guide you through the process. Take a deep breath, understand each step, and you'll soon find yourself on the path to becoming a permanent United States resident!

Elevate Your Marriage Green Card Journey

Contact us for additional information or questions about the I-485 marriage green card process or supporting documents.  Speak to us to help you understand visa bulletin retrogression and how it might affect your immigration journey. 

We’re committed to providing support and immigration legal advice to help you navigate the complexities of US immigration.


We've put together this FAQ section to give you simple answers to the most common questions about the I-485 marriage green card process.

1. How long does it usually take to get a green card after I-485 marriage green card form approval?

You usually get your green card about two to three weeks after I-485 marriage green card approval for marriage-based adjustment of status. Please note that there could be unexpected delays. 

Delays might occur because of paperwork or unexpected situations, as everyone's situation is different. Always try to stay informed about any updates or changes in processing times.

2. What can follow the approval of the I-485 marriage green card form?

The applicant gets a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) in the mail after the I-485 marriage green card form is approved. The approval date on form I-485 will then become the adjustment date. This date determines when the newly adjusted Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) can apply for US citizenship.

3. Can the I-485 marriage green card form be filed before the visa bulletin priority date?

There may be delays in certain cases. USCIS and embassies/consulates accept I-485 marriage green card applications only if the priority date matches or is earlier than the date in the chart. If your priority date is later, you'll need to wait before submitting form I-485 and should check the Visa Bulletin every month for any updates.

4. What does it mean in cases where the I-130 is approved, and the I-485 is denied?

It means that USCIS, the embassy, or consulate acknowledges your family ties, but you cannot become a permanent resident. Carefully review the denial notice to understand the grounds for the denial and take appropriate steps based on your circumstances. 

Talking to a legal expert is the best way to get advice on what to do next in your immigration journey because everyone's situation is different.

5. How do the I-485 green card and I-130 forms differ?

The I-485 marriage green card (adjustment of status) form demonstrates the foreign spouse's eligibility for US permanent residency in a marriage green card application. When assisting a relative with a green card application, you'll first submit the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, followed by the I-485 marriage green card (adjustment of status) form.

If you're a spouse, parent, or an unmarried child of a US citizen (not over 21 years), you can complete both forms simultaneously. The I-485 marriage green card (adjustment of status) form isn't just for family members’ green card application types. Its main job is to help you adjust your immigration status.

Posted in: