Green Card Through Family

Green Card Through Family

The U.S. immigration system is one the most complex in the world. Attorney Joshua Goldstein specializes in immigration through marriage and family members. Attorney Goldstein is fully prepared to successfully manage your application through USCIS (formerly the INS), the National Visa Center (NVC), the Department of State (DOS) and other immigration agencies.

Our experienced Boston family green card lawyers have a proven record of success in immigration petitions based on marriage, parent/child relationships and brother/sister relationships. Here is a small sample of what our team can do for you:

  • Provide you with an overview of the immigration process,
  • Accurately complete all necessary forms,
  • Prepare documentation to support your petition,
  • Submit your application to United States Citizenship and Immigration, Nation Visa Center, Department of State and other agencies, and
  • Prepare you and represent you as your attorney at interviews at USCIS and U.S. consulates abroad.

Who is Eligible to Obtain a Green Card through a Family Member

You can apply for permanent residency (also known as a “green card”) through certain family members who have U.S. citizenship or who are permanent residents of the U.S. Permanent residency can lead to citizenship. But the length of time it will take for USCIS to process your application for permanent residency depends on your family’s immigration status and their relationship to you. Unlimited numbers of immigration visas are available immediately to “immediate relatives” of U.S. citizens, while other family members may wait many more years to get a visa. Which “preference category” a family member falls under will determine how long the wait for the visa will be. A lawyer in Boston could help someone in your family obtain a green card by determining their preference category. People who qualify as Immediate Relatives of U.S. citizens include:

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried minor children under the age of 21, and
  • Parents of U.S. citizens, if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21

Preference categories for Non-Immediate Relatives include:

  • First: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Second: (a) Spouses and children of U.S. citizens, (b) Unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Process of Applying for a Green Card through a Family Member

Obtaining permanent residency or green card status in the U.S. usually involves filing a combination of the following immigration forms with governmental agencies such as USCIS (former the INS), National Visa Center (NVC), and the Department of States (DOS):

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support under Section 213A of the Act
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information
  • Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence

Although the forms may look simple, there are thousands of important details not included in the instructions that can affect your immigration case. Our attorneys in Boston have a thorough knowledge of the underlying complexities of U.S. immigration law and how green card cases may change based on the circumstances within your family. Goldstein Immigration Lawyers can provide you with the direction and legal counsel you need to successfully guide you and your family through the U.S. immigration process.

Contact a Boston Family Green Card Attorney

If you wish to learn more about the process of obtaining a Green Card through or for a family member, answer a few questions by clicking the button below, and schedule a time with our team.