Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage in Boston

award 1
award 2
award 4
award 5
award 3

Immigration Attorney Joshua Goldstein has helped countless couples obtain green cards through marriage in Boston. At Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, our legal professionals are skilled and experienced in all aspects of the marriage-based immigration process. With the assistance of a knowledgeable immigration attorney, you could avoid delays and ensure that your case is well-documented and successful.

We are ready to take responsibility for every step of the marriage-based immigration process, from completing the forms and compiling documents and evidence, to preparing you and accompanying you and your spouse to the final immigration interview.

Preparing for a Green Card Interview

To obtain a green card in Boston through marriage to a US Citien, you must appear at an immigration interview before an USCIS officer. At this interview, you and your spouse will be questioned and expected to produce “clear and convincing evidence” that your relationship is genuine and bona fide and was entered into for good faith reasons. With considerable experience in marriage-based immigration cases, attorney Joshua L. Goldstein stands ready to advise you on how best to document that your marriage is bona fide. Even before your applications are submitted, Attorney Goldstein could help you gather joint financial documents, evidence of joint residency and joint tax records to ensure your success in the immigration process. Finally, a member of our legal team could attend your immigration interview and be at your side to represent you.

Problems with Marriage-Based Immigration

Attorney Goldstein often takes on difficult cases after a problem interview where the applicants appeared without an attorney or with ineffective legal representation. Some reasons why a problem in a Boston marriage-based green card case may arise include:

  • Unstable marriages
  • Criminal convictions
  • Immigration violations
  • Periods of living apart
  • Lack of persuasive joint financial documentation
  • Divorce
  • Arrest or incarceration of a petitioning U.S. citizen husband or wife
  • Death of a petitioning U.S. citizen husband or wife
  • Children out of wedlock
  • Domestic violence, abuse or extreme cruelty, battered spouses
  • Cases involving the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies equally to both men and women

If your marriage-based immigration case involves one of these difficulties, you must have an effective and knowledgeable attorney. Attorney Joshua Goldstein is eager to act immediately on your behalf.

What is an Affidavit of Support?

If you wish to petition for your spouse to obtain permanent residency, you must accept legal responsibility for his or her financial support by completing a Form I-864, or an Affidavit of Support. Your case will be denied unless your affidavit of support is backed up by evidence that your income exceeds the minimum requirement of 125% of the federal poverty limit for the most recent tax year for your household size. At our firm, our attorneys could work tirelessly to make sure your Form I-864, affidavit of support is well-documented and successful. Our clients sometimes must rely on a joint sponsor, co-sponsor or alternative documentation of assets or income. By working with an experienced and knowledgeable family immigration attorney, you save yourself time, trouble, and the potential for delays or outright denial caused by incomplete or improperly prepared paperwork.

What is Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing?

There are two ways to obtain permanent residence or green card status for the spouse of a U.S. citizen or green card holder: adjustment of status and consular processing. These two immigration options offer relative advantages and disadvantages. Adjustment of Statusinvolves filing an application (Form I-485) for the husband or wife of a U.S. citizen who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States, or who is the spouse of a permanent resident who has maintained lawful nonimmigrant or parole status and for whom a visa is currently available. Consular processing is an attractive option when the foreign husband or wife lives outside the United States. Scheduling an interview may be faster at a US consulate abroad than at a USCIS office here in the US. A lawyer in Boston could help someone determine which method may be best for their case if they are looking to obtain a green card through their marriage.

Speak with a Boston Attorney for Obtaining a Marriage-Based Green Card

To speak to an attorney about your immigration goals, including obtaining a green card through marriage in Boston, you should look no further than Goldstein Immigration Lawyers. We welcome you to contact us online or call to schedule an immigration consultation.