Stuck in the U.S. because of the Icelandic volcano? What to do if your immigration status is expiring

As an immigration lawyer in Boston, my office has been inundated with calls from Europeans and others who can’t return home because the Icelandic volcano has disrupted air travel or caused airport closure. If you are in the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and can’t leave in a timely manner and are in danger of overstaying because of the volcano, here’s what you can do:

  • go in person to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office located in Terminal E at Boston Logan International Airport; or
  • make an INFOPASS appointment to speak with an immigration officer at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Boston District Office.

USCIS and CBP have trained their staff on how to handle visa waiver cases like these.

How do you extend your stay if you are in the U.S. under a visa?

If you are in the U.S. persons are traveling under a visa, you should contact the USCIS Boston District office or, if you live elsewhere, the nearest USCIS office, and follow these instructions on the USCIS website. Although USCIS recommends initiating the process of extending your stay 45 days in advance, the agency is providing guidance on how to handle these cases.

If you need additional information on how to handle your visa or immigration status, call my Boston immigration law office today at 617-722-0005. Schedule a time to meet with me and I will do my best to help you.

Goldstein Immigration Lawyers

Goldstein Immigration Lawyers N/a
Goldstein Immigration Lawyers 6 Beacon st. #220 BOSTON Boston MA 02108 (617) 415-4553