Petition for Siblings

Petition for Siblings

Bringing Siblings to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents

When contemplating immigration, people often envision scenarios where individuals marry U.S. citizens to obtain a K visa. While this is a common situation, it's essential to acknowledge that U.S. citizens may also seek to assist their siblings in obtaining a green card or attaining citizenship. The strong desire to reunite with family members and aid them in establishing a new life in the United States serves as a significant motivation for many individuals. Whether it involves sponsoring a sibling for a family-based immigrant visa or providing continuous support throughout the naturalization process, U.S. citizens have a valuable opportunity to assist their siblings in navigating the complexities of immigration law. By gaining an understanding of the various available pathways and seeking guidance from an experienced F4 visa lawyer, U.S. citizens can actively contribute to their siblings' immigration journeys, helping them realize their aspirations of thriving in the United States.

Can Siblings Sponsor An Individual In Order To Help Them Obtain A Green Card?

In accordance with U.S. immigration law, immediate family members of U.S. citizens can be sponsored to obtain a green card. Immediate family members are limited to:

  • A spouse that is a US citizen
  • Unmarried children below the age of 21
  • Parents if the citizen is at least 21 years old.

However, siblings are not classified as immediate family members under these specific categories. It's essential to recognize that there are alternative family-based immigration categories, like the Family Preference categories, which may offer options for sponsoring siblings. These categories have specific prerequisites and restrictions, and the availability of visas for siblings is subject to annual numerical limits. To explore the potential avenues and gain a comprehensive understanding of the process for sponsoring siblings, seeking the counsel of an experienced sibling visa attorney is highly recommended. At Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, our F4 visa lawyers can provide personalized guidance based on individual circumstances and up-to-date immigration regulations.

F4 Visa Falls Under Family Preference Visa Categories

Although siblings are not included in the "immediate relative" category for K visas, there is still a pathway for them to assist their sibling in obtaining a green card through the F4 visa, which falls under the Family Preference categories. These categories prioritize certain eligible relatives over others. Here are the different categories:

  • F1 (Family First Preference) - This category is for unmarried sons or daughters of U.S. citizens who are 21 years or older.
  • F2A (Family Second Preference - green card holders) - This category includes spouses or children of green card holders.
  • F2B (Family Second Preference - green card holders) - This category covers unmarried sons or daughters of green card holders who are 21 years or older.
  • F3 (Family Third Preference) - This category applies to married sons or daughters of any age of U.S. citizens.
  • F4 (Family Fourth Preference) - This category is specifically for siblings of U.S. citizens.

It is important to understand that the Family Preference categories have a limited number of visas allocated by Congress for each relationship type. As a result, there is often a waiting period before an applicant can receive a visa due to the high demand.

What Documents Are Required To Apply For A Family Preference F4 Visa?

Applying for an F4 visa requires the submission of specific documents to establish eligibility and support the application. As the sponsoring U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you must provide the following documents and evidence as part of the petition:

  • Proof of Relationship - You need to submit documentation that establishes the familial relationship between you (the sponsor) and the intending immigrant. This may include birth certificates, marriage certificates, or other relevant official records that validate the relationship.
  • Affidavit of Support - It is mandatory to submit an affidavit of support, which demonstrates your financial ability to support the immigrant. This involves providing evidence that your income meets the minimum threshold, typically at least 125% of the U.S. Poverty Guidelines.
  • Medical Examination - The intending immigrant must undergo a medical examination conducted by an authorized physician to ensure they meet the health requirements for immigration.
  • Certified Birth and Marriage Certificates - You should include certified copies of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and, if applicable, their marriage certificate. These documents help verify their identity and marital status.
  • Sponsor's Tax Returns - You are usually required to provide certified copies of your tax returns for the most recent years. These tax returns serve as evidence of your financial stability and ability to support the immigrant.
  • Payment of Fees - The appropriate fees, determined by the U.S. government, must be paid at the time of filing the application.

To ensure a comprehensive and accurate application, it's essential to consult the official guidelines and seek guidance from an experienced sibling visa attorney. The specific requirements and procedures may vary, so it's crucial to stay informed and follow the instructions provided by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). By doing so, you can maximize your chances of a successful F4 visa application.

F4 Visa Sibling Requirements

It's important to note that not all siblings are eligible to sponsor an individual for a green card, as there are specific eligibility requirements that must be met. To sponsor a sibling through the F4 visa category, there are straightforward eligibility requirements that must be met. As the sponsoring US citizen, you need to fulfill the following criteria:

  • Be a US citizen
  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Have siblings who reside in a foreign country
  • Provide supporting evidence of the sibling relationship, such as birth certificates or adoption documents, etc

Additionally, you must be living in the US and have a valid US address. It's important to note that your marital status or whether you have children does not affect your eligibility for the F4 visa, as long as you satisfy the mentioned requirements. Seeking guidance from an experienced immigration attorney can be beneficial to ensure that you comprehend and meet all the necessary eligibility criteria for sponsoring your sibling's green card application.

Contact An F4 Visa Lawyer Near You

If you require assistance with your F4 sibling visa application, we strongly recommend consulting an experienced F4 visa lawyer at Goldstein Immigration Lawyers. The visa application process can be complex, and having the guidance of a knowledgeable attorney can greatly enhance your chances of a smooth and successful application. Our team of immigration lawyers specializes in the intricacies of the F4 visa category and can provide the personalized support and guidance you need. Whether it's gathering the necessary documents or preparing a comprehensive application, our lawyers will diligently work to maximize your chances of a favorable outcome. Don't hesitate to contact Goldstein Immigration Lawyers today and let us help you navigate the sibling visa process with confidence and ease.